Ellie Goulding was born and raised in Lyonshall, Herefordshire, England.
She doesn’t sing about her religion, and she doesn’t tweet about it either. The only mention she made in an interview was her annoyance that the press comments on her physical appearance, including her nose.
I’ve read that I have a big nose. . . a Jewish nose.4
At a live concert in 2011 however, Goulding could be seen wearing a t-shirt with a cross on it,5 and she sings a mean version of “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,”6 so chances are this pop star was raised Christian.
Liberal by association
Goulding played some pretty high profile gigs for government-types in 2011: a song at Prince William and Kate Middleton’s wedding and a performance for the Obamas during the National Christmas Tree lighting ceremony. But neither one was a political statement.
She doesn’t talk a whole lot about politics specifically, but there’s a pretty good chance she leans toward the left. First of all, she runs with a liberal crowd. The young singer collaborated with Tinie Tempah,7 a supporter of the U.K.’s Labour party. She was also the opening act for a time on outspokenly liberal Katy Perry’s 2011 tour.8
Goulding also seems dedicated to the gay community, meaning she’s probably into the whole marriage thing too. When asked if she had always had gay people in her life, she responded,
For sure; since I was young. Several of my favorite people in the whole world are gay and absolutely amazing. Also, I do have a lot of gay guys who are huge fans.9
As this up-and-coming star breaks out of her shell and interviewers start asking her some bigger questions, I bet we’ll hear more from this young woman. Keep us updated in the comments.
- Ellie Goulding. Glamour. [↩]
- U.K.’s Newest Jewish Singing Sensation, Ellie Goulding, is no “Wedding Singer.” Shalom Life. [↩]
- Top 10 Songs Of The Month. City Sounds Entertainment. [↩]
- I’m pretty pink. The Irish Mail. [↩]
- Ellie Goulding – Lights (Live Rising). YouTube. [↩]
- Ellie Goulding covers ‘Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.’ YouTube. [↩]
- Tinie Tempah – Wonderman (Feat. Ellie Goulding). Blah Blah Blah Science. [↩]
- Katy Perry Opener Ellie Goulding Talks ‘Incredible’ Tour. MTV. [↩]
- Ellie Goulding talks guns and gays. PrideSource. [↩]