Helen Hunt was born in Culver City, California and grew up mainly in New York City.
Hunt is Jewish and Methodist, but she seems to relate to the Jewish side a lot more. Her father was Jewish and his grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Germany–their name originally was Rothenberg. And she was apparently interested enough in her father’s side to go on the show Who Do You Think You Are? in order to find out more about her Jewish roots.1
She directed and acted in the movie Then She Found Me in which a large focus of the film is a woman’s Jewish faith, a project she had her sights set on for almost two decades.2 And she also seems to feel completely comfortable throwing in some Yiddish during a Saturday Night Live skit.3
I couldn’t find any interviews where she talked about her relationship with God or whether or not she celebrates the high holidays, but even if the folks over at the website Jew or Not Jew say she’s only barely a Jew,4 we’ll give her the benefit of the doubt.
Mad About Politics
Hunt is a friend of the Democrats. She’s been donating to the party since 1998,5 and in 2012 she posted a picture of herself on Twitter with the word “serenity” written on her hand captioned with this series of hashtags:
#serenity #ForAll #Obama20126
She also appears on a National Rifle Association list of gun control advocates7 and on another list compiled by same-sex marriage advocacy groups of “Marriage Equality Supporters.”8 Hunt showed her support of environmental causes in 2013 by attending an event by the organization Global Green that aims to fight climate change. She said she has hope that awareness of the issue is increasing to the point where some real change can take place:
Hopefully this puts some wind at the back of President Obama, given his strong words both during his Inaugural address and at the State of the Union about the need for urgent action on climate change. We all need to raise our voice in support of action on climate change and solutions like increased use of solar power, more energy efficient buildings and higher mileage cars.9
It sounds to me like she’s deep into liberal American ideology–a true Hollywood star.
- “Who Do You Think You Are?” – Helen Hunt. Ancestral Discoveries. [↩]
- How Helen Hunt did God. The Jewish Chronicle. [↩]
- Coffee Talk. SNL Transcripts. [↩]
- Helen Hunt. Jew or Not Jew. [↩]
- Helen Hunt’s Federal Campaign Contribution Report. Newsmeat. [↩]
- HelenHunt: #serenity #ForAll #Obama2012 … Twitter. [↩]
- NRA Publishes List of Gun Control Advocates. Conservative Daily News. [↩]
- Supporters of Marriage Equality. Marriage Equality USA. [↩]
- Oscars: Helen Hunt Talks Climate Change at Global Green’s Annual Party. The Hollywood Reporter. [↩]