Jensen Ackles was born and raised in Dallas, Texas.
Ackes has said he was raised in a “very religious family.”1 We’re quite sure that religion is Christianity of some kind, but not even Ackles will disclose which denomination. He said:
I consider myself a non-denominational Christian. I grew up in a Bible church and still hold those beliefs very close to me.2
As it turns out, his bread and butter is playing a religious crusader on the hit TV series, Supernatural, where he spends day and night fighting off demons and apparitions, many of whose origins can be found in Catholic mythology.
We also see Ackles as subscribing to the often-religiously motivated dichotomy of good and evil–and he prays. He said, quite troubled, after the 9/11 attacks on New York City:
I pray to God that this new evil in our world will be abolished quickly.3
That’s a line that could have come straight off the Supernatural script.
No time for politics, must kill monsters
Ackles hasn’t made any political statements or claimed any party or platform that I can find. But nary a star you will find with more rumors swirling around him–from him being gay4 to him being cast in this film or that film5 –Ackles could reasonably spend a good portion of his free time confirming or denying rumors.
For the most part, the rumor mill has Ackles pegged as a Republican.67 I don’t see any reasoning behind it, except maybe for the fact that he’s from Texas. On the other hand, his character in Supernatural once called Republican icon “Joe the plumber” a “douche.”8 But that’s more of an indication of the show’s writers’ political leanings than anything else. Let us know in the comments if you find anything out.
- Jensen Ackles Dishes Season 6 Spoilers in Sci-Fi News Interview. Supernatural Fans Online. [↩]
- Jensen Ackles: Aspects of Ackles. Portrait Magazine. [↩]
- Jensen Ackles – Biography. IMDb. [↩]
- Jensen Ackles Gets Married! Perez Hilton. [↩]
- Jared & Jensen Panel. YouTube. [↩]
- Is Jensen Ackles a republican or a democrat. Answers. [↩]
- Thread: Jensen Ackles charges $500 for one minute of his time. Data Lounge. [↩]
- Liberal Sucker Punches in Hollywood, Conservatives Starting to Punch Back. Frugal Cafe. [↩]