Lauren “Keke” Palmer was born in Harvey, Illinois. She grew up in Robbins, Illinois and Los Angeles, California.
Palmer grew up in the church. I couldn’t figure exactly which church it was, but it was a central part of her experience growing up. Her father was a preacher, and her mother was the director of the choir in which she got her start singing.1 But according to Keke, they weren’t over-the-top about it. When asked if her parents were overbearing, she said,
Not at all, my mother and my father both, I mean we were religious but they didn’t beat me over the head with it. They taught me about religion. . . but they let me have my own mind.2
From what I gather from her Twitter feed, these days she doesn’t seem to be too caught up on the details of religion, and seems to opt for an inclusive, love-based belief in God. First there’s this one:
God has no religion.3
And then there’s this one which is representative of most of her God-related tweets–love yourself, love your enemies, be happy:
God makes no mistakes, there for he made you perfectly and in the image of HIM.4
She seems like a girl with a good head on her shoulders.
So Much Grace
Palmer is a big Obama fan. The 2012 election was the first time she was old enough to vote, and she took full advantage. The young actress tweeted support for the president,5 campaigned for him at colleges,6 and hosted the Kids’ Inaugural event following the election.7 In one particularly heartfelt tweet during the presidential debates, she wrote,
Whenever President Obama speaks I just want to listen. He has so much Grace8
Outside of her support for Obama, she is incredibly involved in various causes related especially to young people. She works with the YWCA’s Saving Our Daughters campaign to end bullying among girls and young women.9 She has also teamed up with the Boys and Girls Club and the Girl Scouts of America to encourage girls and women to improve their self-esteem.10 And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
It looks like feminism has a fresh young face ready to take on the world. This isn’t the last we’ll hear from Keke Palmer.
- Keke Palmer Makes Joyful Noise. Scholastic. [↩]
- Keke Palmer And Jeremy Jordan Joyful Noise Interview. Global Grind. [↩]
- KekePalmer: God has no religion. Twitter. [↩]
- KekePalmer: God makes no mistakes, there … Twitter. [↩]
- KekePalmer: OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!! Twitter. [↩]
- Keke Palmer Campaigns for Obama & Voting at Bethune Cookman. HBCU Buzz. [↩]
- Keke Palmer Hosts Kids’ Inaugural – Malia, Sasha, and Michelle Obama. Seventeen. [↩]
- KekePalmer: Whenever President Obama speaks … Twitter. [↩]
- Keke Palmer, YWCA USA Anti-Bullying Spokesperson. YWCA USA. [↩]
- Let’s Talk: Keke Palmer Kicks Off National Movement on Behalf of Girls with March to Times Square. Boys and Girls Club of America. [↩]