Ashley Greene was born in Jacksonville, Florida and grew up there and in Middleburg, Florida.
Greene hasn’t talked a whole lot about her religion, but she offers up a few hints that point toward ambiguously Christian. First of all, she went to a private Baptist school for part of her high school career and she celebrates Christmas.1 She also dated super-Christian Joe Jonas.2 And she prays for those who are going through hard times.3
When asked if she believes in ghosts, though, Greene revealed that she doesn’t spend a lot of her time thinking about the paranormal:
I try not to think too in depth about all of that stuff. . . but I definitely don’t rule it out.4
Maybe that’s how she feels about Christianity too. She doesn’t think too much about it, but that doesn’t mean she’s not a Christian.
Greene doesn’t seem to think too deeply about politics either. She doesn’t talk about issues or candidates, but while gay rights supporters across the country were protesting Chick-fil-A’s opposition to gay marriage, the young actress was spotted grabbing a meal from the fast food joint.5 You sort of get the impression, though, that she wasn’t trying to make a statement; she just really likes fried chicken.
And even though she has a weakness for eating animals, PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) seems willing to forgive her for it. The organization bestowed Greene with the Kind Choices Award for being an ambassador to Avon, a cruelty-free cosmetics company.6 Again, there’s no indication that Greene wouldn’t have taken the position from a company that wasn’t in PETA’s good graces.
She certainly embraces the Christian spirit of giving back. Greene is excited about being able to use her new-found fame for good.
Acting is a smaller piece in a big puzzle. There are charity things I want to immerse myself in and want to have the time to go and give back to people who don’t have the opportunities I have. It’s a very important thing to me.7
She is a spokeswoman for Donate My Dress, an organization that encourages young women to donate their prom and other formal dresses to those who cannot afford the dresses for their own rites of passage.8
- From Jacksonville to Hollywood and a hit movie. Jacksonville. [↩]
- Joe Jonas & Ashley Greene Split Confirmed. Just Jared. [↩]
- Ashley Greene Sends Her Thoughts and Prayers to Japan. YouTube. [↩]
- AshleyMGreene: I try not to think too in depth… Twitter. [↩]
- Ashley Greene buys lunch at Chick-fil-A despite their controversial opposition to gay marriage. Daily Mail. [↩]
- ‘Twilight’ Star Ashley Greene Wins PETA Award for Choosing Cruelty-Free Cosmetics. PETA. [↩]
- Ashley Greene Interview. Ask Men. [↩]
- DonateMyDress.org: Celebrity Supporters. Look to the Stars. [↩]
- Twilight star Ashley Greene is the epitome of Hollywood glamour at charity event. Daily Mail. [↩]
- ‘Twilight’ Star Ashley Greene Opens Her Closet For Charity. MTV. [↩]
- ONE Campaign: Celebrity Supporters. Look to the Stars. [↩]