Pamela Anderson was born in Ladysmith, British Columbia, Canada and grew up there and in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Nothing suggests that Anderson had a religious childhood or any kind of faith during her upbringing. Beyond that, there’s plenty of indication that she hasn’t put much effort into figuring out her religious beliefs since then. She once said:
I don’t really think about anything too much. I live in the present. I move on. I don’t think about what happened yesterday. If I think too much, it kind of freaks me out.1
However, Anderson seems to find transcendence in certain worldly experiences. She once philosophically remarked:
Sexuality is an expression of our spirituality. Sex makes you get real.2
I suppose we could call Anderson a hedonist, that being someone who believes in the primacy of pleasure. It wouldn’t be surprising if she claimed to be a hedonist, as she clearly has no issues with other fringe religions–such as New Age faith healers.3
In the end, we’ll have to give her the non-religious designation as there seems to not even be enough going on in Anderson’s head for her to claim simple agnosticism.
Anderson is rather passionate politically. She’s a liberal Democrat whose list of concerns includes environmental issues and, more importantly, animal rights.
Anderson officially endorsed Barack Obama in 2008,4 and insisted that the president is “sexy.”5 That might have been a little flirting to help her case to legalize marijuana, something she personally asked President Obama to do.6
But the bulk of Anderson’s considerable political energy goes to our furry little friends. She’s been a longtime spokesperson for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), urging people to give up eating meat,7 to stop wearing fur,8 and protesting KFC’s treatment of chickens,9 among other things. In 2003, Anderson was awarded the first ever Linda McCartney Memorial Award for outstanding service to the cause of animal rights.10
It all seems to amount to a deep respect for nature and life for Anderson, who extends her concern for these things to humans and the earth as well. She once said:
You know, I always feel like human beings are an endangered species. I feel like we all have to really understand and protect the world, protect our oceans, protect, you know, so many things, and I’m just so passionate about those things.11
- Pamela Anderson (I) – Biography. IMDb. [↩]
- Pamela Anderson. Wikiquote. [↩]
- Pamela Anderson And Tommy Lee Leaving A Faith Healer/Hypnotist. Metro Lyrics. [↩]
- Pam Anderson endorses Barack Obama. Embarrassing celebrity pile on continues. Zap 2 It. [↩]
- Pamela Anderson calls Obama ‘sexy.’ Hindustan Times. [↩]
- Pamela Anderson Urges Obama To Legalize Drugs! YouTube. [↩]
- Pamela Anderson Shows That All Animals Have The Same Parts. PETA. [↩]
- Response to PeTA’s “I’d Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur” Campaign. The Feminist eZine. [↩]
- PETA’s Campaign Against KFC. Kentucky Fried Cruelty. [↩]
- Linda Remembered: Linda’s Legacy. Archer 2000. [↩]
- Pamela Anderson’s Passions: Motherhood and Animal Rights. Ecorazzi. [↩]