Alyssa Milano was born in Brooklyn, New York and grew up in Staten Island, New York.
Milano was raised a Roman Catholic, but with a bit of flair. Apparently her parents were Woodstock-attending hippies, but their traditional, institutional faith was still very important to them.1
It’s difficult to tell if Milano is a devout Catholic in adulthood, but she’s certainly still a person who values faith. She said:
For me, there is no hope without faith. Faith is a higher good. Faith in our divinity.2
And when she was excited about her pregnancy, she tweeted:
I love feeling my baby move in my belly. I kind of feel like it’s proof that there is a God. Beautiful!3
But it’s not all Mass, Communion and Confession, stone-faced ministers and giant cathedrals for Milano, who seems to hold mystical, fairy tale creatures in high regard. She once said:
I’ve always believed in experiencing everything in life. When you walk out with blinders on, you cut yourself off from the angels and the fairies.4
I suppose that’s the hippie side of her upbringing coming out.
What we’ve got here is a good ‘ol fashioned Hollywood liberal Democrat. Let’s start with Obama, shall we?
Of the $4,350 Milano has directly donated to politicians in her lifetime–all of it went to Obama.5 On Twitter, Milano defended Obama’s controversial decision to not release photos of a dead Osama bin Laden.6 And, Milano appeared in a widely-circulated, celebrity-stuffed video in which she and her cohorts “pledged” undying allegiance to the new president.
But, displaying the ability to think for herself, Milano was actually a bit critical of the president during a 2010 interview. When asked if she had one question to ask to the president, what would it be, she answered:
She also pleaded with Obama to “Be the guy I elected into office.”8
Uh-oh, trouble in paradise…
Beyond that, Milano supports all the traditional liberal institutions–gay marriage and animal rights for example. Of gay marriage, she said it was “inhumane” that gay couples were not allowed to marry and added:
It’s not really a political issue, it’s a human issue.9
A vegetarian, Milano has been a longtime supporter of PETA. Appearing in an ad wearing a vegetable dress, Milano encouraged us to go vegetarian–for the animals:
The world has so much suffering in it already. Choosing to be vegetarian is one thing you can do to reduce the suffering on a daily basis.10
But don’t let all this partisan poppycock distract you from Milano’s real passion. She’s a UN Goodwill Ambassador11 whose main focus is helping to alleviate the suffering from Tropical and third-world diseases.12
- Witch on Heels. Geocities. [↩]
- Quote by Alyssa Milano. Goodreads. [↩]
- Alyssa Milano Sees Pregnancy as Proof of God. Cafe Mom. [↩]
- Alyssa Milano Quotes. Brainy Quote. [↩]
- Alyssa Milano’s Federal Campaign Contribution Search Results. Newsmeat. [↩]
- Alyssa_Milano: Obama has decided not to release… Twitter. [↩]
- Alyssa Milano. The Hill. [↩]
- Alyssa Milano. The Hill. [↩]
- Kathy Griffin, Alyssa Milano at the Do Something Awards. Our Scene TV. [↩]
- Alyssa Milano’s Sexy Veggie Ad. PETA. [↩]
- UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Alyssa Milano calls for action to alleviate child poverty in Kosovo. UNICEF. [↩]
- Alyssa Milano: The Threat of Neglected Tropical Diseases. The Huffington Post. [↩]