Luis Miguel Gallego Basteri, better known by his first two names, was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico and grew up in Veracruz, Mexico.
Miguel is notoriously guarded about his private life,1 unfortunately for us over here at the Hollowverse. But, he’s just got to be Catholic–at least a lapsed one. The list of Catholic countries associated with the singer are impressive. He was born in Puerto Rico (85% Catholic),2 raised in Mexico (83% Catholic),3 has a mother born in Italy (88% Catholic)4 and a father born in Spain (70% Catholic).5 That all adds up to a 326% chance that he’s Catholic!
No, but seriously. I’m not the only one that is inferring some sort of relationship with the Catholic church based on nothing that we’d consider a “fact.” He’s listed as a Catholic on just about every website that would care about such things.67 So, we’ll have to conclude with: probably Catholic, degree of devotion unknown.
If you think Miguel’s private private life means we don’t know anything about his politics either, you’d be right. It appears that he’s probably a citizen of both the U.S. and Mexico,8 but not surprisingly, he doesn’t have anything to say about either country.
He’s involved in at least some charity work,9 but nothing that would be considered even remotely political. It looks like Miguel is just going to be a dead end. If you happen upon something that might help us out, please leave us a note in the comments. Thanks!
- Usually reserved, Latin pop hitmaker Luis Miguel cuts loose. Sun Times. [↩]
- Religion in Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico Channel. [↩]
- Religion in Mexico. Wikipedia. [↩]
- Religion in Italy. Wikipedia. [↩]
- Religion in Spain. Wikipedia. [↩]
- List of Roman Catholic celebrities. Lucy Who. [↩]
- Luis Miguel (Singer). Spokeo. [↩]
- Luis Miguel Biography. Monsters and Critics. [↩]
- Luis Miguel Singing For Children’s Hospital. Latin Gossip. [↩]